What we do
Tuesday evenings 6.30 to 8.00pm.
Most sessions will be lead by or assisted by a club coach and there will be a focus on learning or practicing key orienteering skills.
The format, activity and location of Club Nights varies through the year. We usually identify a nearby pub for those wanting to socialise afterwards.
- In the Autumn the sessions are currently MapRuns using GPS to identify the control sites mainly urban settings in different parts of the City and County.
- We take a break during December.
- From January onwards they are based at Markfield Community Centre. We use an indoor room and outdoors in the streets and parks of Markfield.
- As the evening light improves in March onwards, we may use other venues.
- In the late spring and summer whilst the Summer League is running, the club takes another break.
Booking and Contacts
In order to ensure we print enough maps or other materials, it is helpful if you book in advance via the web page for the evening –
Do I need to be a club member?
You do not need to join the club while you come to taster sessions, but you get free club magazine and refund of some event fees if you do. Senior membership fee is £15 and Juniors are £9.
If you are a newcomer to the club, Please contact the Organiser prior to your first session so that we can ensure the Newcomers Resource Pack is brought along.
Charge: Families £5, Adults £3 and children £1.50 per session.
Contact: Derek Herd; Tel: 07920090299; email:
Our coaches are shown at http://www.leioc.org.uk/our-coaches-2/
Kit and Equipment
For the MapRuns, you will need a GPS enabled smart phone; shoes suitable for the terrain, usually hard surfaces; and clothes suitable for the weather conditions. Everything else can be provided or loaned.
For the school based sessions you will need indoor shoes for the gym as well as outdoor.
Beginner wanting to buy equipment are welcome to try out the club’s loan compasses and dibbers during one of the sessions (and/or at an event) before choosing.